Okay, let me start off by saying, I absolutely love Rust, the concept is great, the gameplay is getting there, and the player base is Toxic AF (and that is not bad for this game).
I have to put this in point form to start, and from there we will expand.
- Toxic – Now this doesn’t sound like a pro thing, but it actually is! This game is a pure PVP survival game. The players need to be absolutely toxic in order to survive!
- Gameplay – For 2013 graphics it sure does look like a sorta modern game. It gets clunky at times, but all around it isn’t a bad experience
- Survival – If you like survival games like 7 Days to Die, then you will like this. Farm resources, build weapons, armor, etc, survive.
- Crafting – Sure, I mentioned this above, as it is part of survival, but it is the core mechanic of the game, and while it takes a little bit to figure it all out, it plays out well!
- Base Building – This falls into the survival statement / crafting statement, but building a base to survive, respawn in, etc, is hugely important. It is how/where the game thrives.
- Your base stays active on the server when you log off, and you need to supply your ‘tool cabinet’ with supplies to make it survive longer. But this does not prevent offline raids from destroying all your hard work. Additionally, it takes forever to build up those resources. Making it hugely difficult to survive without a team.
- Crashes – This game has a lot of glitches, despite being years old. I have talked with PC players, and these crashes haven’t been fixed on PC, not alone on Console. But we all assume there is a console port in the works. God we hope so!
- Tank – Okay, there is a damn tank, and it kills you fast, so much so that when I got killed to it, it blew my corpse through a wall and I was unable to retrieve my corpse or anything else I had on it. But don’t let that discourage you, it is wildly important to the game.
As you can imagine, Rust is an adventure. This is one of the most interesting games I have had the opportunity to play in a long time. Will it become part of my regular streaming catalog of games? Probably not, but I will do a few streams of Rust. If my friends join me, and they enjoy it we could turn it into a regular occurrence. But we shall see.
Rust is a true Survival MMORPG and that makes it a very unique experience, as there are not too many games out there that embody this game style. It is a pleasure to play when it is not absolutely infuriating to survive against teams when you are solo. Attempting to build friendships with players that are hell bent on conquering other people makes this game not for beginner gamers. I absolutely recommend this game to my gamer buddies with years of PVP experience in other games. But I certainly would not recommend this to a gamer new to the online world. It is simply too toxic. Which I said above, is not a bad thing for this style of game.
I have been playing this game on and off of stream, attempting to truly get the hang of it. I want to experience the entirety of this game, and see what the developers do next with it. Hopefully they start with fixing all the bugs and move on from there! Until then, it’ll be in my catalog of games to play, mainly off stream. Crashing games is not a healthy experience for streamers.